Tuesday, February 21, 2017

It’s in the Cloud


Exodus 24:12-18           The Lord said to Moses, “Come up to me on the mountain, and wait there; and I will give you the tablets of stone, with the law and the commandment, which I have written for their instruction.” So Moses set out with his assistant Joshua, and Moses went up into the mountain of God. To the elders he had said, “Wait here for us, until we come to you again; for Aaron and Hur are with you; whoever has a dispute may go to them.” Then Moses went up on the mountain, and the cloud covered the mountain. The glory of the Lord settled on Mount Sinai, and the cloud covered it for six days; on the seventh day he called to Moses out of the cloud. Now the appearance of the glory of the Lord was like a devouring fire on the top of the mountain in the sight of the people of Israel. Moses entered the cloud, and went up on the mountain. Moses was on the mountain for forty days and forty nights.
Matthew 17:1-9              Six days later, Jesus took with him Peter and James and his brother John and led them up a high mountain, by themselves. And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became dazzling white. Suddenly there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, talking with him. Then Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here; if you wish, I will make three dwellings here, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.” While he was still speaking, suddenly a bright cloud overshadowed them, and from the cloud a voice said, “This is my Son, the Beloved; with him I am well pleased; listen to him!” When the disciples heard this, they fell to the ground and were overcome by fear. But Jesus came and touched them, saying, “Get up and do not be afraid.” And when they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus himself alone. As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus ordered them, “Tell no one about the vision until after the Son of Man has been raised from the dead.”
+++
Yesterday started with some dense fog that would not go away.  I mean that in the literal sense.  I needed to leave earlier than usual, as I had promised to drive someone to the hospital in the morning.  The sun was not quite risen yet when I pulled out of the driveway, but I was not too concerned about the short visibility.  I assumed that the sun would come out and “burn off” that fog soon.  But this was not the case, after all; and several hours later, driving my patient home, we were still engulfed in the mysterious fog.
When the roundtable began talking about the cloud of God that was present in both the Exodus and Matthew passages, we thought of the cloud we had been walking and driving in just that morning.  You feel lost.  You can’t see.  In a cloud, we are in a state of unknowing.
It would seem incorrect, though, to describe the cloud Moses enters as a state of unknowing, because this is where he has communion with God.  And it would seem incorrect to describe the cloud that overshadows Jesus and his disciples as a state of unknowing, because this is where the voice of God speaks to them.  And yet, there is some continuity with the sense of unknowing we experience in the clouds. 
When Moses steps into the cloud he disappears from the others.  They no longer see him; they no longer have any knowledge of what he is doing.  He has become something “other,” in a sense, as God is “other.” The experience of Jesus and Peter, James, and John on the mountain is similar.  As Jesus is transfigured, he becomes something “other” as well.  His disciples are left dumbstruck, gaping, wanting to make meaning out of this utterly new thing.
To what can we compare such things?  I think of the Christian mystics of whom I have read.  Julian of Norwich, in particular, who had one documented, incredible, mystical experience, which she spent the rest of her life interpreting.
This morning I was reading Christian Wiman’s My Bright Abyss, and was particularly struck by a passage where he mentions believers who express feelings of sadness that they have never had a particularly intense spiritual experience.  Never to have been overpowered by God.  Never to have been slain in the Spirit, as some say.  I knew what he meant.  There was a time in my life when I had that urgent longing to be just knocked off my feet by God.  Every Sunday in worship I waited for it, almost expecting it, but always disappointed.  As a Presbyterian, it wasn’t as though I was seeing it happen to others around me, but I yearned for it, nonetheless.  To this sense of frustration, Wiman responds this way:
“Really?  You have never felt overwhelmed by, and in some way inadequate to, an experience in your life, have never felt something in your life staking a claim beyond yourself, some wordless mystery straining through words to read you? Never?”
Wiman gave me a different way to see such “religious” experiences, by suggesting they are actually much more ordinary than one might think.  The mere longing I experienced so many Sundays, for instance.  Furthermore, he emphasizes, “Religion is not made up of these moments; … Religion is what you do with these moments…”
I read and reread and reread his words and found myself on the verge of tears, overwhelmed by the meaning in them. 
Each year I read the transfiguration story and, once again, don’t know what to make of it.  But each time, maybe I find some shard of light that gives me something to work with.  This time, I notice that after they go back down from the mountaintop, they encounter a man in desperate need.  He begs Jesus to heal his son, an epileptic.  So it’s back to normal life for Jesus, and what is becoming normal life for his disciples. 
And this stuff of normal life, the healing, the teaching, the blessing, is where all the meaning is really made.  But none of it would even be, if not for the mountaintop – the moments of mystic sweet communion, however we experience them. 
The moments of awe and wonder are fleeting, of course, and they will always elude comprehension.  It is in the normal stuff of life, and the choices we make, where the meaning may take form.

Photo Credit: <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/" title="Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0">CC BY-SA 3.0</a>, <a href="https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=243681">Link</a>


No comments:

Post a Comment